Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Provo Farmers Market

This year has been interesting. Among normal yearly activities, I started my own jewelry business while taking an 18 credit semester. Not the wisest timing, but it has turned out to work in my favor. I got all A's and A-'s in my classes and was ready to do my first craft show on the very last day of the semester. Sure, I had next-to-no life, but I gained life-experience, and there's something to say for that... right? Who needs friends when you have flat back posts, industrial strength glue, and resin flowers to piece together? ;)

 (sorry for the poor quality - almost all of these photos were taken on my phone)

That show went okay. Yeah, just okay. I'm proud of the mediocre success I had, considering it was my first time selling in a public venue, and it at least made me back enough to have spending money on my much needed Caribbean cruise. But, in retrospect it was a dump. I think I knew it at the time, too, I just didn't want to discourage myself, so I kept telling myself that I was doing AWESOME. Awesomely bad.

I almost stopped my business venture right there. I was in the hole financially and I knew I would have to spend quite a bit of money to make it to a good place with my finances... but, was I prepared to do that? I don't know if it was pure-dumb-luck or straight up lack-of-self-control addiction but I decided to give it another go.

I took a month off to prepare new inventory before opening a booth at the Provo Farmer's Market. If you haven't been yet, you need to go! It's small, but it's eclectic and fun. There are craft vendors, farmers (yeah, for real! ;)), and amazing food: stone-fire pizza, authentic Mexican tacos, waffles, crepes, etc... And everyone is prepared to give you a killer deal. Me included. 



See my booth there? Cute, in'it? My regular prices range from $1-$14, and I often times have 50% sales. Got your attention? That means that the majority of my inventory is sometimes only $1.50, and some even only .50 (those are a popular seller!). I'm glad I decided to keep going. I currently bring in more money from six hours on a Saturday than I do during an entire week of part-time work during the semester, so it's been a huge blessing in my life. 

That pure-dumb-luck has paid off :)

No comments:

Post a Comment