Saturday, May 14, 2011

Southwestern Scrambled Omelet



I know, I know. Omelets aren't scrambled. Well, mine is. I'm usually too impatient and too busy to have the time to spend on making such masterpieces, but I don't mind :) I think what this recipe is just as good as any ol' omelet. What I like about this recipe is that as a poor and busy college student, I can make the mix on Sunday night and have it last through Friday or Saturday morning. If you use it for your family, it only takes as long as it takes to cook the chicken breast and to scramble the mix. Because it is scrambled, you can do smaller portions and use it as a side to pancakes or waffles, or use a whole meal.

Ingredients:

12 eggs
1/2 cup of milk
1 cooked and cubed chicken breast
Your choice of vegetables
1 cup shredded cheese (optional)
Salsa (optional)


Directions: Thaw and cube the chicken breast, and cook thoroughly. While chicken breast is cooking, crack the eggs in a medium sized bowl, and use a whisk to gently break up the eggs. Add the milk, shredded cheese, and your choice of diced vegetables. (For these pictures I just used olives, which is all I had on hand, but I sometimes use tomatoes, broccoli, and red and green bell peppers. The more vegetables you use, the heartier of a scramble you'll have.)


Scramble the mix as you would regular eggs. Portion out the scrambled omelet eggs on plates and garnish with salsa, or use salt and pepper in lieu of salsa. This also tastes great on toast or rolled up in a warm tortilla.

This recipe costs only as much as you put into it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment